It’s the end of another year and you take a look at the past year and realise that you haven’t achieved any of your New Year’s Resolutions. What happened? You were so serious about them. You promise to do them all this year, but how can you be sure you achieve your New Year’s resolutions? Lucky for you, we’ve compiled a list of tips to help you keep the New Year’s resolutions you make for 2019.
One of the biggest mistakes people make when setting their New Year’s resolutions is making too many. We all like to make a long list of things we want to change or do during the year but the reality is that life gets in the way. We don’t have the time to work on everything. So rather than making a long list of resolutions, make a short list with even just one or two resolutions.
Be S.M.A.R.T. about it
Setting S.M.A.R.T. goals will also help you set achievable goals. S.M.A.R.T. stands for:
- Don’t just say “I want to change”. A specific goal says “I want to change and this is how”.
- A measurable goal is one where you can see how far along the path to success you are. For example, instead of saying “I want to lose weight” say “I want to lose 10kg.” That way you can keep track and see how far you are from your goal.
- Being ambitious when you set your goals is not a bad thing, but make sure you can break it down into smaller goals that you can achieve. Make the goals something that you can achieve in a few months. Reaching these smaller goals help to keep you motivated and keep going until you reach that final goal.
- Now you might think realistic goals and attainable goals are the same but they are not. A goal might be attainable but still unrealistic. For example, losing 50kg is an attainable goal, but if you can’t or don’t want to do the work you need to, like exercising, then the goal is unrealistic. Make sure that it’s not only attainable but something that you want to attain and have the time to attain.
- Set a deadline. Having a time-limit or deadline for achieving your goal will help to keep you motivated and to keep working at it.
All Eyes On You
Make your goals public. Tell your friends and family about your goal. They will help you to achieve your goal by asking you how it is going, how far are you from achieving your goal etc. We can often lose motivation but having your goals public will mean that people will keep you focussed and they will also support and help you to achieve your goal.
Make sure to reward yourself when you achieve your goals or even just achieve the smaller steps along the way. Rewarding yourself will give yourself a sense of achievement and this will keep your motivation high.
The Show Must Go On
The most important thing is simply to not give up. Keep working at it, even when it seems too difficult or as if you aren’t going to reach it. If you give up you will never achieve your goal.
Hopefully, these few tips will help you to achieve your New Year’s resolutions where you may have failed to do so in the past.